Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Vista had its chance

The way to fix Vista is to go back to XP.
Since going back to XP
  • My Computer is much faster opening
  • Coping/moving/deleting files is faster
  • Bluetooth works even when the computer comes out of standby and hibernation (Very important to someone that has Bluetooth built in and wanted a bluetooth mouse)
  • Connecting to networks is easier
  • I can install a decent firewall
  • No annoying UAC (I eventually turned it off.)
  • No Aero (Aero is very annoying)
  • My system is faster
  • I have more hard drive space (Vista was using more than twice of XP)
  • No DRM crap to slow my system! I don't need a babysitter!! (I don't watch DVD's on my laptop. Why should I devote extra resources to prevent me from doing something I don't want to do?)
  • More applications work
  • I can get more themes
  • I can customize the toolbar in Explorer (had to add a link to the Recycle Bin to the sidebar, not as convenient as a button!)
  • No stupid required full row select!
I gave Vista a more than fair shot. I bought my laptop with it preinstalled. The laptop scored a 4.5 Vista performance level. I waited for SP1. SP1 messed up standby mode and caused frequent lockups. Enough was enough!
Things I'll miss
  • Voice dictation (I could not get it to work well anyway)
  • Using the Windows key to launch from the Quick Launch toolbar
  • The search in the Start Menu (using Find and Run Robot v2 now)
  • The breadcrumb trail in the address bar of Explorer
I just want a fast, light weight, secure system that I can do my work on. It is the applications that are important, not the OS!


No comments: